The project that has consumed a large amount of my creative energy and time for the last month or two certainly deserves a post and here it is. I wasn't sure about what I had committed to when I first started gathering and making props for this play. It all seemed a little overwhelming. "You Can't Take it With You" is a charming, delightful, and hilarious play that had me getting all sorts of dishes and food for eating (there is a LOT of eating in this play), making fake fireworks and getting a few real ones from my pyromaniac brother, and all sorts of other tasks. I tried to just work slowly and steadily (I'm usually a big procrastinator, last minute finisher sort of person) and that kept me from getting too overwhelmed. As opening night approached, I felt the excitement of putting on a live show, even though I wasn't in it. It turned out to be so much fun and I'm so glad I was able to be a part of it. This small town is pretty great. It was about a year ago that we decided to move here and I think I'll definitely be sad when it's time to leave.
Have you ever seen a props table? Everything has a place and everything better be in it's place (or you might hear from me!). I vaguely remember the one from when I was in the chorus of our high school's musical, but I was a total novice.
We ended up with non-food items mainly on this table and then mostly food items on the side of the stage that led to the kitchen. Here I made the colorful skyrockets from crepe paper and milk cartons and the smaller ones that are on the left just by covering toilet paper tubes in tissue paper.
And the food, all the glorious food. The cast was pretty good about not eating it, but I did have to do a little nagging, especially to get them to leave that cheese alone.
It made me a little sad to take this fabulous Christmas wrapping paper off of this hatbox, but it just wasn't going to work for our play. I re-covered it in a combination of the red mini-dot wrapping paper (a thrift store find) and some of my striped Christmas paper from Target that I got this past year. I also added the handle - just a strip of side bias tape that I sewed together and knotted on the ends to make it stay in the box.
I did make one crossover into costumes with this art smock. I used a pattern for a vintage 70's loose jacket that I think was intended to be made from a fabric with a lot of polyester in it and made it from a thrifted white sheet insted, left off the button holes, made elastic wrists instead of cuffs, and added a tie at the top. If we are still here next year, I think I'm going to ask to work with costumes. The props were fun, but sewing is definitely more my thing.
And a couple of shots from the play...props in action!
This is the best shot of the firework that didn't go off quite right. I burnt the crepe paper around the edges (BTW - that stuff is very flame resistant, but Ryan still thought I was going to burn the house down when I was doing it so I took it outside) and had some come out of the top and bottom of the milk carton. For those of you familiar with the storyline, yes, that is Mr. DePinna, wrapped because of his wound sustained from the misfire of his creation.
On the left (held by the Duchess Olga Katrina), you can sort of see my cake stand, the same one from my birthday post. And I also made the box of cornflakes on the tray on the right.
All in all, I am grateful that the director asked me to be a part of this. I missed being here as much, but I had so much fun being creative in a different way than I'm used to, making friends with a lot of new people, and being part of something bigger than just me. If you ever get asked to be a part of a play, I'd recommend it!